Former Nigerian Education Minister and Vice-President of the World Bank's Africa division (3r L) Obiageli leads a march of Nigeria women and mothers of the kidnapped girls of Chibok, calling for their freedom in Abuja on April 30, 2014. Nigerian protesters marched on parliament today to demand the government and military do more to rescue scores of schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram Islamists more than two weeks ago. Dubbed "a million woman march" and promoted on Twitter under #BringBackOurGirls, the protest was not expected to draw a massive crowd and turn-out was hindered by heavy rain in the capital Abuja. But several hundred women and men, mostly dressed in red, marched through the rain towards the National Assembly carrying placards that read "Find Our Daughters."
AFP PHOTO / PHILIP OJISUAPHILIP OJISUA/AFP/Getty Images
21 Of The Chibok Girls Kidnapped By Boko Haram Freed
Twenty-one of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram have been freed, a senior Nigerian government official has told the BBC.
The official wanted to remain anonymous and the government has not issued a statement.
Previous reports of the girls’ release have turned out to be wrong.
The Islamist militant group kidnapped more than 250 students from a school in Chibok in April 2014 – an act that provoked international condemnation.
The BBC’s Martin Patience in Nigeria says the government official did not say how the kidnapped students had been rescued.
But it is thought they are now with the security services in the north-eastern city of Maiduguri.
This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version.